Thursday 13 November 2014

Charles the First

Charles the First:
I am all but a Catholic person,
Yet I’m rich with power from England.
I am dressed for a day fit for the sun
And I’m the king of this wealthy island.

Bad times are coming, times are changing.
My men bring me news of a new leader
And my traditional ways are ageing.
I think I’m turning into a pleader.

My young boy, Charles number two, is in France,
Though I hear neither hide nor hair from him,
Word has it that he enjoys a good dance.
So when I lose he will be next in kin.

Protestant ways will take over this land
And Charles the first will not be around.
Before my kingdom is in Cromwell’s hands,
He will make my head roll along the ground.

They say parliament over the royals.
Catholic to Protestant religion.
I blame Henry the eighth for no morals
And I foresee religious collisions.


The Scottish ‘Engagement’ was my downfall.
Where the Scots invaded on my behalf.
I cannot stop the result of a brawl.
With the war, Royalists began to laugh.

‘Levying war against the Parliament
And kingdom of England’ I’m guilty.
A traitor! I laughed. What could they have meant?
I asked: ‘I’m tried by which authority?’

‘Justice, justice!’ Versus ‘God save the king!’
On the twenty sixth of January
The court said I was a dangerous thing.

I find my sentence extraordinary.

No comments:

Post a Comment