Thursday 18 September 2014

Chapter Three

Hello readers and/or classmates. This is a story I have been writing outside of class called Reincarnation. Enjoy folks.

Chapter Three:

Debates class was interesting, as usual. The teacher split us up into two teams and gave us a spontaneous topic to debate about. The topic was whether or not it would be a good idea to become a vegetarian. Now I, myself, am a massive carnivore and I love my meat. So when my teacher put me on the side that was pro-veggie, my heart plummeted a little into my meat filled stomach. However, when you are in debates class you must consider both sides to the story.

The anti veggie side came up with the fact that meat tastes too good to lose. I happen to agree with them. I would become veggie but then ... bacon would get me every single time. Have you ever tried a pancake with bacon on it accompanied with golden syrup? I tell you it is absolutely divine. I think that was all the anti veggie side could think of.

The pro veggie side wasn't doing too well either. Had we of had the chance to go home and actually research and properly plan out arguments and defences, I think we would all do better.

"Jessica Zel? You're up for pro-veggie," The teacher said and took a step away from the podium she was standing and gestured for me to take her place.

"Okay, so why are we eating meat that is no good for us? Meat has no nutritional goodness in it so what is the point of eating food that will just clog our arteries up with fatty residue?" I started.
I am sorry for all the cows and pigs I offend whilst making these arguments. I love you really!

What else? My group touched on the cruelty of killing hundred upon thousands of animals a year.
"How many animals do you think die in a year from slaughtering? I dread to think. All of these animals die painfully, alone and afraid. How would you like it?" I asked.
Someone from the anti-veggie side got up.
"Admittedly, I wouldn't like it but what you are missing out, Miss Zel, is that most of these animals are sedated before entering the slaughter house and they are killed whilst they are sedated. They do not feel a thing," He said.
Everything about him said New Soul.
"Does that make it ethically right?" I fired.
"Depends on the type of person you are. If you're a soppy do-gooder Reincarnation like yourself I guess not. You're type cares only about other's rights. Others that can't even communicate with us properly. If you're like the New Souls they see the bigger picture and can be open minded about the ethics of killing animals for food. Who do you want to be Miss Zel. Reincarnation or New Soul?" He asked.
"That is none of your business New Soul," I said.
We both crossed our arms in unison. The teacher stepped in.
"Zel. Jovanka. Back to the debate," She said.
"Ethics or not you cannot argue with this," I started.
The New Soul grinned as if to say 'Oh, you want to bet?'
"What about all of those poor, vulnerable animals who are kept in tight cages or enclosures? Battery farms are dreadful places. Yet we eat the produce that comes from there! Tight spaces means more waste pollution, not to mention noise pollution. Are these the kinds of conditions we should let animals live in? No!" I said.
The New Soul smirked. Here we go.
"Our government have done their best to rid our society of such farms. Are you saying that our government has not been working enough to please the citizens of the country? Even Reincarnations like yourself? The government works so hard to please you and you say this behind their backs," He said.
So that is why he smirked.
"Our government have worked tirelessly to provide an ideal state of living for us. For that I am grateful. However, I do believe that our society is not perfect and until it is, then our government's work is not done," I said carefully.
The teacher nodded, the class visibly relaxed and the New Soul scowled. I smiled at him.

"Avoiding meat is one of the best and simplest ways to cut down your fat consumption. Modern farm animals are deliberately fattened up to increase profits. Eating fatty meat increases your chances of having a heart attack or developing cancer," I said and out of the corner of my eye, I saw the New Soul smirk once more.
"Are you going to argue with science?" I challenged.
"No but you have already said this," The New Soul said and some of the others on the anti-veggie side nodded.
"No, Mr Jovanka, I feel like I must correct you. I touched on it. Now I have developed my point, I am going to move on, problem?" I asked.

I was getting slightly agitated. No one normally dared to fight me when I am in Debates class. They know that they would get shot down in flames if they tried. I grinned as another point came into my head.

"What you call 'meat' could include the head, tail, rectum or/and the spinal chord of an animal," I stated.
The New Soul held his hands up as if to say 'so what?'
"Meat is meat, is it not?" He said and he got a loud cheer in response.

"A sausage can contain ground intestines. How can you be sure that those intestines have been cleaned out properly before they go into the meat you eat. Do you really want to be eating the insides of an animal's intestine?" I asked.
The New Soul looked at me with determination on his face. I just wanted him to go away. I actually want this lesson to end right now so i never have to see this boy again.
"Our government controls food hygiene and food safety ... are you saying that our government would let us eat the contents of a pig's intestine? I think you are, Miss Zel?" The New Soul said.
What a government's pet!!
"Our government does control it yes, but do they oversee the cleaning process, no! So I ask once more, how can we be sure?" I fired.
That shut him up.
"Okay now to those to slim down a little. Did you know that it's much easier to become and stay slim if you are a veggie?" I asked.
Some girls started grinning. I stepped down from the podium and sat back down  in my seat. Across the room i could see the New Soul giving giving me a glare.

The Debates class finished and the teacher put the scores up from last to first. I expected my name to be in the first place but it wasn't; it was in the second spot. 'Keenan Jovanka' was in the first place spot. My head whipped around to the New Soul and he grinned smugly at me before winking and then chatting to his other New Soul buddies. Ah the teacher probably has a crush on him anyway,

I walk down the corridor and angrily throw my jacket over my shoulder. I have never come second in Debates class before and the first time that i do come second, I lose to a New Soul. How unfair!

I meet my Mother outside the cafeteria and found that she was sipping a coffee. Her eyes were closed and she looks like she is in deep thought. I walk over to my Mother and tap on her shoulder. She jumps out of her reverie and spins to see who tapped her on the shoulder. She relaxes when she sees me.
"Ah. Hello darling, I thought you were someone else," Mother admits.
I look at her and see a glint in her eye. That glint that means a man is present.
"I am guessing that that glint in your eyes is something to do with the man who bought you that coffee?" I ask.
She smiles warmly at me and that smile brightens her whole face. Actually scrap what I thought earlier. New Souls have four weapons. Intelligence. Beauty. Money. Perfect smiles.

I remember a bedtime story that my Father would tell me. He would tell me about how he met Mother.
"Her smile was the one thing you couldn't miss. It's the most deadly weapon that a New Soul has. A smile.  Now everyone smiles but there was something about your Mother's smile that had to transfixed  to the spot," He would tell me.
"But, Daddy, she is a New Soul, they don't look at us in that way, how did you win her over?" I would ask.
"Ah, my child, that is one of the many mysteries of this universe. I, myself, don't even know.  I am only a Reincarnation. For once, I am glad that I am not U-"He started but stopped himself.

I shake my head and look at my Mother, she is still smiling away.
"A charming bloke offered to buy me a coffee the moment I walked into the cafeteria," She tells me.
I raise an eyebrow at her and her smile widens.
"Don't worry, I kindly refused as usual. However as I sat down he came over and sat with me and I could hardly get up and walk away could I? That would be such a stereotypical New Soul act. I do not want to be anything like them," Mother says. I smile sympathetically at her.
"You cannot deny who you are," I say and Mother nods in acceptance.
"So what was this guy like?" I ask.
"Well, he would not stop talking but he was talking about really quite interesting stuff about the government. I recall he said that his son is hoping to get into government as a work position. So he was telling me everything that his son has taught him. Did you know that on page 9327, line 37 in Government Phrases there is a short saying from his Great Grandfather in there which says: 'Do not dish out the starter if you cannot take the main course that comes after to it but look forward to the desert.' I think it means-" She started but I cut across.
"As interesting as this is you know that neither of us are interested in politics," I say.
"He made it interesting," Mother argues.
"New Soul was he?" I ask.
"No. He had too many pimples and ginger hair with black streaks," She says wrinkling her nose in disgust.
I cross my arms.
"Well, Mother, not everyone can be as beautiful as you are," I say.
Mother seems taken aback. Her sparkling blue eyes and thick wavy blond hair make her prettier than most. Me? I am plain Jessica. Brown hair, brown eyes and pale skin. Dull. Boring.
"That is true Jessica but I always rank intelligence over beauty and you know that," Mother argues.
I agree with her statement.
Mother places a hand on my back.
"Time to go," She says and we walk towards the future.
My future.

No comments:

Post a Comment